[x3d-public] Web3D Communications Team minutes: YouTube review and progress planning

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Apr 21 10:11:20 PDT 2020

Attendees: Christophe Mouton, Anita Havele, Don Brutzman

It's important that we stream line our videos and make it easily accessible to our viewers. There is a lot of good content here, how do we categorize all of this and make it relevant to our new and old users?

Many worthy challenges.  Who else will help?

-----

1. *Web3D Conference Channel*

This activity has potential for impact: to date, 35 videos with 29 subscribers have a total of 464 views.

Christophe walked us through all of the work needed to recover Web3D 2019/2016/2014/2013 videos...  He will "work backwards" from most recent to longest time ago.  Curiously the files have all been chopped into 17-minute segments due to file-size restrictions of the day.  We discussed various ways to recover these, step by step.

Video tools used by Christophe and Don, respectively:

[1]	Davinci resolve
	https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

[2]	Techsmith Camtasia
	https://www.techsmith.com/video-editor.html

Here is a great session example that Christophe made regarding standardization for AFNOR, the French national standards body.

[3]	AFNOR Normalisation: Industrie du futur
	https://normalisation.afnor.org/thematiques/industrie-du-futur/

We hope to continue recovering and announcing talks, session by session.

We are also thinking ahead for a possible virtual presence for Web3D 2020 in November this year.

-----

2. *Web3D Consortium on YouTube*

We checked the new YouTube link for Web3D Consortium and (once we got caches cleared and correct YouTube accounts active) everything seemed to work great.

Thanks to Leonard and Anita for sorting this all out!

[4]	New Web3D Consortium YouTube channel
	https://www.youtube.com/c/Web3dConsortium

-----

3. *More cool content requested!*

We could use some new videos in anticipation of SIGGRAPH.  Our current headliner (assembled by Vince Marchetti) is great but a bit dated.

[5]	SIGGRAPH 2016 Fast Forward Overview: X3D by Web3D Consortium
	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCvHxGIzyhs

Who can work with Anita to prepare an updated "highlights reel" video describing X3D and Web3D Consortium?

This activity is having impact: 260 videos with 176 subscribers have a total of 25,666 views!  So perhaps a lot of views are by visitors?

Anita is also interested in seeing whether we might have a different set of playlist categories.  Worth goal, these categories have emerged over time.  Current lineup:

1	3D Scanning
2	Business Applications
3	Computer-Aided Design (CAD)
4	Geospatial Applications
5	#HANIM Humanoid Animation
6	#HAnim X3D Animated Music Video Competition
7	Information Visualization
8	Interviews and Presentations
9	Learn X3D!
10	Medical Visualization
11	Mixed Augmented Reality (MAR)
12	Physics
13	SIGGRAPH Conference Series
14	Tool Support for X3D and VRML
15	Virtual Reality (VR)
16	#VRML Virtual Reality Modeling Language
17	X3D version 4 Experimentation
18	X3D: Extensible 3D Graphics International Standard

Test question for all of these categories: if a user comes looking for something that interests them, will they find it?

-----

4. *Getting fancy with video bookmarks*

Request Nicholas (or someone) review recent video for listing timestamps of each section, we can add those as quick-access bookmark links.

[6]	X3D Quickstart Tutorial at IEEE VR 2020
	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0QgBRzDH-s&list=PLibbKqU7McePNBuFf7MogEP_esS-7fSmu&index=2&t=1822s

	https://www.web3d.org/event/x3d-quickstart-tutorial-ieee-vr-2020

-----

5. *X3D4 and HAnim2 content emerging*

As X3D Don will encourage X3D4 and HAnim2 contributors to also make their own videos.  If all goes well we can have a full playlist and short "highlights" reel in time for SIGGRAPH this July.

[7]	Playlist: X3D version 4 Experimentation
	https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLibbKqU7McePfc_4YejQB3mlgJwW7xZ0b

[8]	Playlist: Humanoid Animation (HAnim)
	https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLibbKqU7MceOh7nsjW5pNgZwm3Kp-ddpE

Have fun with X3D and Web3D videos!   8)