[x3d-public] HAnim review: specification, examples quicklook, next steps

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Apr 23 15:27:04 PDT 2020

Attendees: John Carlson, Joe Williams, Don Brutzman with help from Anita Havele.

1. Took a while but got everyone logged into web3d.org zoom and github.

2. Tested github specification zip, it worked.  Hooray!  Awaiting publication at web3d.org site.

3. Reviewed and sent suggested improvements to webmaster for HAnim specifications that are already on web3d.org site.

Anita: once the HAnim version 2 specification is online, that will answer many of the questions received from IEEE 3D Body Processing (IEEE 3DBP) group.

TODO we will also update github links when this is updated.

TODO prepare a press release  8)

-------

4. Started the review of HAnim examples.

a. X3D Resources > Examples > Basic > Humanoid Animation and Medical

[4.1]	https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/HumanoidAnimation

[4.2]	https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/Medical

b. We will next do "triage" on the examples, confirming that HAnim 1 and HAnim 2 examples are each correct.
- Some have issues that will get fixed,
- some might be too broken to save,
- upgrading some old HAnim 1 models to HAnim2 is desirable.

c. We are looking ahead to splitting out this large (and growing) set of examples into their own archive.

Suggestion: consider keeping Medical examples together with HAnim examples since they are so closely related to each other.

d. Upgrading HAnim examples will be our primary effort over next 1-2 months.

-------

5. Medical examples - relevant, but not (yet) correlated to HAnim.

a. some interesting names we didn't capture in HAnim, potential alias names for Joint/Segment or else Site names.
b. Bones are an interesting form of skin, possibly, but not used in that way for HAnim.
c. Note that none of these have HAnim structure (Joint/Segment/Site) - useful future project.

-------

6. John wondered what additional annotations or metadata structures are needed for medical.

This is a key question shared by many groups: CAD, Heritage, X3D Ontology for Semantic Web, etc. etc.

Can we find a "hello patient" file to pattern after?

Can HL7 or DICOM or IEEE 3DBP partners help with this?

We took a quick look at the following example, it worked in both X3DOM and X_ITE.  Encouraging!

[6.1] X3D Example Archives: Basic, Humanoid Animation, Box Man Animation Panel
       https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/HumanoidAnimation/BoxManAnimationPanelIndex.html

-------

We accomplished a LOT in 2 hours.  Thanks guys, see you next week with a faster start.