[x3d-public] X3D standard, X3DJSAIL, X_ITE stifling my content

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 09:51:46 PDT 2020

It used to be that I could load a coordIndex field with almost any browser
during script initialization.  Now, some browsers are restricting me from
using this technique, and X3DJSAIL throws warnings when I tried to route to
an initializeOnly field.

One solution is to 1) pregenerate the coordIndexes.  This increases disk
space, and also, at least in Java, prevents compilation of coordIndex
fields with a lot of numbers.
2) use X3DOM's subdivisions= field.  This is very useful, and I have use it
successfully.

I recommend that X_ITE implement subdivisions as shown in X3DOM's Sphere
node at least.

If my content is no longer supported, I have no reason to stay as a member
with the X3D Consortium, and I will spend my money elsewhere.  PlayCanvas
comes to mind.  They have some pretty restrictive space requirements, and I
will use the space to save the spheres as generated with FBX with Blender
and converted to JSON.

My suggestion for X3D is to allow a route with a target accessType of
initializeOnly to run the route once after the scripts have been
initialized.  I am unsure how to implement this, and welcome browser vendor
feedback.

Thanks,