[x3d-public] Work Proposal/Wish List: X3D XML, JSON -> Three.JS

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 09:33:30 PDT 2020

I propose that we examine the usefulness/feasibility of converting X3D JSON
or X3D XML documents to ThreeJs JavaScript webapps.

We already have many examples of converting X3D to JavaScript:
X3dToES5.xslt, X3dToNodeJS.xslt, JavaScriptSerializer.js (X3DJSONLD) and
more (NodeSerializar.js).  These rely on a pre-existing library, X3DJSAIL.
We also have a preliminary JavaScript to XML library.

I am proposing another base library, ThreeJS. This is different from other
approaches (XSeen, Three-X3D-Loader) in that we will produce Three.JS
compatible JavaScript application code instead of using Three.JS directly
as a renderer.   So our product will produce a JavaScript webapp, not webGL
calls. You can then take the text generated by our code, and plug it into
your webapp.  Presto!

Does anyone see a demand for this?  I'd like additionally to examine the
feasibility of a Q&A AI (GPT-X) to translate X3D JSON to Three.JS

Thanks,