[x3d-public] Spec 9.2.4 Browser options: add PBR shading? X3D3 Inline use cases for X3D4

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Aug 15 15:53:50 PDT 2020

Michalis and Andreas: thanks for close analysis.

9.2.4 Browser options
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD2/Part01/components/networking.html#BrowserProperties

Am understanding that we ought to change table-row default from Gouraud to Phong:

Name,    Description,    Type/valid range,    Default

Shading;    Specify shading mode for all objects;    Wireframe, Flat, Gouraud, Phong;    Gouraud

For updating the X3D4 specification, some questions remain however:

a. Given your interpretation previously, does this break compliance of existing browsers?

b. Do we add another value to the list of allowed enumerations, such as "PBR"?  If so, what is accompanying prose.