[x3d-public] Possible effort + paper for X3DJSAIL and friends

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Aug 31 15:46:00 PDT 2020

John, thanks for the good thinking here.

Creation of unit tests for full code coverage is always worthwhile.

As a way to integrate this with how we currently do business, have taken the following approach with X3DJSAIL (Java), X3DPSAIL (Python) and X3D Ontology (Turtle).

a. Conversion of .x3d scene into respective source code (.java .py and .ttl) for loading.  This checks most syntax and expressive correctness.
b. Addition of simple self-validation test, a scene tests itself that the values and relationships are all valid.  This checks most accessor methods (getters/setters).
c. Regression testing reporting these results for all models in X3D Example Archives is produced automatically as part of each build release.

So we could add further autogenerated tests the mix, but we should figure out "what itch we are scratching" since a lot is in place already.

Of note is that the Web3DUX User Experience is looking at how user navigation and interaction can be measured.  Theoretically each X3DOM/X_ITE conversion of an .x3d scene might be used with a selenium test harness to check scene capabilities from within an HTML page.  How such tests might define metrics and success criteria are open questions that might become very interesting as we integrate further with the Web.