[x3d-public] X3D4 finalization endgame: Field naming reconciliation decision

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Dec 13 21:33:28 PST 2020

Worked on implementation and evaluation of these changes to field names today.

* Field name changes planned for improved consistency
   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dSceneAuthoringHints.html#fieldNameChanges

Mostly worked OK.  Found 2 nodes with proposed field changes that should _not_ proceed:

a. CADFace         /shape/ field is SFNode and so cannot be mapped consistently to MFNode /children/ (congratulations Vince!)
b. CollidableShape /shape/ field has accessType initializeOnly and so cannot be mapped consistently to MFNode /children/

... which leaves the remaining changes:

1. ComposedCubeMapTexture: make six sets of field names identical to TextureBackground for contained textures, e.g. back becomes backTexture, top becomes topTexture, etc.
2. DISEntityManager: change unnecessarily different containerField='mapping' and rename as containerField='children' instead.
3. LoadSensor: change unnecessarily different field name containerField='watchList' and rename as containerField='children' instead. Child node restrictions can achieve a functionally equivalent effect and improve the object-oriented design.
4. ParticleSystem: change unnecessarily different field names colorRamp, texCoordRamp and rename as regular defaults color, texCoord instead. Related: see issue Mantis 1322 to allow TextureCoordinateGenerator as an alternative to TextureCoordinate for that child node.

Changes applied to X3D XML Schema, DOCTYPE, X3D Unified Object Model (X3DUOM), and stylesheet tools.  Everything is checked in, distribution builds will be uploaded tonight.

Corresponding review and revisions continuing for X3DJSAIL, X3DPSAIL, X3D Tooltips and X3D Schematron.

All specification changes also checked in, Dick and I will be checking those and also confirming that a number of other Mantis issues have been satisfactorily resolved.

* https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD3/Part01/Architecture.html (public)

* https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php (member-only)

Have fun with X3D4!  8)