[x3d-public] TwoSidedMaterial deprecation by adding Appearance backMaterial field

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Feb 1 14:18:42 PST 2020

Am expecting that two-sided material will be a capability with increasing use as more models are created for building internals (rooms walls stairwells etc.) and component parts (perhaps CAD-related) with internal compartments.

There seems to be a simple way to do this that can deprecate/eliminate TwoSidedMaterial without loss of modeling capability:  add a backMaterial field to Appearance node.

Suggested approach:

   SFNode [in,out] backMaterial     NULL [X3DMaterialNode]

"The material and backMaterial fields are respectively used for both the front and back side of geometry whenever the X3D lighting model is active. If no backMaterial is defined, then the material field applies to both sides of related geometry."

https://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/shape.html#Appearance

12.4.1 Appearance

Appearance : X3DAppearanceNode {
   SFNode [in,out] fillProperties   NULL [FillProperties]
   SFNode [in,out] lineProperties   NULL [LineProperties]
   SFNode [in,out] material         NULL [X3DMaterialNode]
   SFNode [in,out] metadata         NULL [X3DMetadataObject]
   MFNode [in,out] shaders          []   [X3DShaderNode]
   SFNode [in,out] texture          NULL [X3DTextureNode]
   SFNode [in,out] textureTransform NULL [X3DTextureTransformNode]
}

This simple approach provides complete backwards compatibility with any existing Shape that uses the TwoSidedMaterial node (X3D version 3.2 or later).  So not only can that node be deprecated, but conversion between X3Dv3 and X3Dv4 can be lossless.

Not seeing any need for special wording regarding 'solid' field since specification seems to handle that situation already:

* 11.2.3 Common geometry fields
   https://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/rendering.html#CommonGeometryFields
   "The solid field determines whether one or both sides of each polygon shall be displayed."

Further motivation to not eliminate two-sided rendering:
Correctly modeling both sides of dividing quadrilateral is extremely difficult when multiple coplanar polygons are required.  This is because of aliasing ("tearing") effects that currently can only get handled in a complex way using NavigationInfo parameters.  It is not currently practical to have medium-scale objects within a large-scale world unless a NavigationInfo values are modified (or NavigationInfo nodes are bound) accordingly.  Problems can remain even if two polygons remain parallel but are separated by a small distance.

btw, workaround heuristic for aliasing effects:

* X3D Tooltips, NavigationInfo avatarSize,
   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#NavigationInfo.avatarSize

"Warning: important design thumbrule is to keep (visibilityLimit / avatarSize.CollisionDistance) < 10,000 to avoid aliasing artifacts (i.e. polygon "tearing")."

* Hint: Aliasing
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing

* Hint: Clipping
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(computer_graphics)