[x3d-public] X3D Working Group call for Feb 7 2020

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 14:12:33 PST 2020

> Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 21:02:22 -0700
> From: GPU Group <gpugroup at gmail.com>
> To: X3D WG <x3d at web3d.org>, X3D-Public <x3d-public at web3d.org>
> Subject: Re: [x3d-public] X3D Working Group call for Feb 7 2020

Additional navigation modes:

> B. headset
> I also did a 'cardboard' stereo on Android with freewrl, using just the
> orientation sensor on the device, to change the avatar look angle. (but no
> position sensor). If someone sends me more sophisticated headsets, I'll see
> what I can get working.

VR headset navigation is quite diverse. Good default modes will be
very useful but customized navigation will be more important than on a
desktop.

For all headsets the view will naturally follow the headset
orientation, 'looking around'. On the other hand, a 'pause' mode which
freezes the current orientation might be relaxing sometimes, to
exercise your neck.

There is a progression from limited to rich capability:

1) seated, cardboard, no wand nor integrated headset buttons
    - the only transport mode which had some success is 'staring':
Stare long enough somewhere, and then get transported to the spot.
    - in combination with mouse much more usable, as it provides
buttons, and potentially steering for flying.

2) seated, one or two buttons on headset
   - use button to progress to the next viewpoint, or to reset to
initial view at current viewpoint
   - use button to start walking/flying in view direction

3) seated, one or two handheld controllers each with multlple buttons
  - main use of wand will be manipulating the environment, besides navigation.
  - point the laser wand at an object where you want to go, and go with button
  - point the laser in a direction, and fly along the direction
  - point the laser at a viewpoint hud and select a viewpoint description to go
  - use arm gestures: for running, climbing, swimming, flying,
crawling, slowing down, speeding up ...

4) seated, no controllers but bare hand tracking
  - gestures
  - cockpits, wheels, virtual joystick

 5) 6dof, eg. looking while standing and moving in a limited space,
with controllers (now most typical, Oculus Quest, Go)
  - very local navigation by moving body
  - plus controller based navigation

Can we come up with perhaps two or three standardized default modes
for VR navigation ? Is there a survey of navigation in current VR
games/experiences ?

VR-examine: just look and also use controller like a mouse to drag,
eg. orbit around center
VR-walk: walk forward,backward,sidewards with buttons on controllers,
looking is independent

They should be probably based on typical use cases but what is a
typical use case, outside of gaming ?

Customized navigation could be based on custom mapping of controller
actions (buttons, gestures) to a set of available navigation
activities/verbs (moving, turning, orbiting, resetting, recentering,
transporting ...).

Should cardboard, eg. headset only, still be considered relevant, eg.
worthy of attention by default nav. modes supported in browsers ?

-Andreas