[x3d-public] glTF asset metadata support

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 10:39:56 PST 2020

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 12:19 PM Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> Cool.  An interesting X3Dv4 variation (design pattern actually) is to embed MetadataSet (for all structured metadata information) in WorldInfo.

Yes, perhaps it would be more appropriate to group the glTF asset
properties into a MetadataSet with name "asset data" and the glTF
asset extras properties into another one with name "asset extras",
both under a more general MetadataSet "asset". The WorldInfo info
field then could contain just "glTF" and the file name, perhaps. But
it seemed nice to have a summary MFString directly available in the
info field as well. I guess that could be left as a recommendation.

> Dick Puk notes that WorldInfo is also a legal top-level root node, so it is a good way to include structured metadata for the scene graph of an X3D model.

In fact, there seems to be some competition between Meta statements
and the WorldInfo node. WorldInfo can be accessed by SAI and routes,
Meta only by SAI. Is there are an opportunity to tighten the spec.,
eg. to start marking either Meta or WorldInfo as obsolete ?