[x3d-public] X3Dv4 progress; PointProperties and points/lines/mesh, OBJ,

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 15:13:47 PST 2020

I think Andreas expressed in a clear way what I also mentioned during
teleconference :)

Basically:

- Castle Game Engine / view3dscene supports a lot of model formats (
https://castle-engine.io/creating_data_model_formats.php ). All these
model formats can be converted to X3D (
https://castle-engine.io/view3dscene.php#section_converting ). All
these model formats can be used within X3D Inline.

- ... but it does *not* mean that model formats like OBJ or STL should
be mentioned in the X3D specification. These model formats are
popular, but they are also problematic. Their specifications (official
or not) are not actively maintained, and the model formats have a
number of deficiencies (e.g. STL models are inherently bad for some
operations because vertexes are not indexed, and STL has only
geometry, OBJ lacks a lot of important features including animations
etc.).

We need to be careful what model formats we mention in the X3D
specification. E.g. as "suggestions" or "recommendation" to support in
Inline. Because these recommendations will exist for many years, and
people could read these recommendations as "endorsement" --- "X3D
specification recommends that X3D is integrated with format XXX, so
using XXX must be a good idea". And I do not recommend anyone to use
STL or OBJ :) For a long-term, efficient, feature-rich format, X3D or
glTF are the solution.

Regards,
Michalis