[x3d-public] X3D working group minutes, 9 JAN 2020: Inline questions

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Jan 14 10:53:46 PST 2020

On 1/12/2020 6:33 PM, John Carlson wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 7:14 PM Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu <mailto:brutzman at nps.edu>> wrote:
>
>     0. *Agenda check*
>
>     Welcome everyone, we are well on our way to finish X3Dv4.  8)
>
>     0.a. Excellent call with _IEEE 3D Body Processing Working Group_ participants yesterday.  Summary:
>
>     - Great liaison discussion!  They are expert and very competent with demonstrated industry use cases.
>     - Focus: general capabilities, metadata schemes, andmodel security via inline permissions and encryption/authentication.
>
> Does inline permissions include “capabilities as data” aka security token aka key on the url similar to google docs?   Would it be good to add setting and getting tokens to manipulate each attribute and and parent in X3DJSAIL?   A parallel secure SAI?   Can we share inlines?
>
> John

Not much has changed with existing Inline functionality except for file types that can be loaded (still under discussion), visibility, and security precaution against recursion.

Not often recognized but certainly significant is that you can pass a lot of information as part of a url, and have the server do processing on it.  Server-side X3D.

The /load/ field is very helpful since that it allows author to design when Inline loading occurs via user interaction, event chains or scripting.

We should probably make support for https: security part of the default in level support.  Added as Mantis 1273:
https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1273
"https security is important and needed for most network interactions. X3D component/level versions should not discriminate or discourage use of https, rather secure connections should be encouraged."

So... when we consider all the richness that is present, I expect the answer is "yes" to each of the questions you pose.  In each case this requires author design, not literal specification support... which is what we all want in a specification, general expressibility.