[x3d-public] TwoSidedMaterial

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 07:50:56 PST 2020

I think solid=false already changes the lighting on the back face
since normals need to be inverted there in order to perform two sided
lighting:

https://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/rendering.html#CommonGeometryFields

"If solid is FALSE, each polygon shall be visible regardless of the
viewing direction (i.e., no backface culling shall be done, and two
sided lighting shall be performed to illuminate both sides of lit
surfaces)"

So solid is not just about culling back faces but also about lighting,
currently, if I read the sentence correctly.

So, yes, I think there is an opportunity simplify, with the goals you
have identified. I would like to get rid of separateBackColor.

I agree that x3dom solid=true behaviour with TwoSidedMaterial is not
spec. conforming (but I think less surprising to authors since
solid=true is the default).

I also agree that from an implementation point of view it may be
preferable to deprecate TwoSidedMaterial completely. Does glTF have a
similar feature ?

--
Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453