[x3d-public] X3DUOM for games and virtual worlds

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 17:40:44 PDT 2020

I have had for a long time had a goal of devising a language for the
specification of computer games.   I have seen EGGG, Zillions of Games, and
Ludii be somewhat successful in this space. Ludii's creator Cameron Browne
has proposed a "class grammar" for creating games.  I believe that we have
constructed a "class grammar" for creating x3d scenes with X3DJSAIL, x3d.py
and the upcoming es6x3d, in that the number of x3d scenes created is
potentially unlimited.

So the question is, what makes a "good" x3d scene?   Can we devise
generation algorithms for creating x3d scenes?   "No Man's Sky" took the
approach of parametric equations.  Cameron Browne took the approach of
genetic selection for developing new games.   Can we combine parametric
equations and genetic selection to create x3d scenes? How do we define
"fitness" of an x3d scene. Is there another possible approach? Copy reality?

When I think about generators, I think about media.  3 forms of media are
textures/movies, symbols and networks (shapes).  I am now thinking about
how to generate interactive media...interactive movies, interactive
symbols, and interactive shapes (plus those combined).  What if I could
interact with my rhodonea to change shape based on interaction?  I already
have sliders for changing parameters.  That was an excellent example.

IDK.  Just thinking out loud.