[x3d-public] X3D minutes 3 July 2020: Physically Based Rendering (PBR) and glTF integration into X3D4 specification, video session

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Jul 3 10:05:02 PDT 2020

Attendees: Michalis Kamburelis, Anita Havele, Doug Sanden, Vince Marchetti, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman

Wishing everyone a happy Independence Day weekend from the United States.  Please stay safe and vigilant out there!

Confirmed: no member-only info is present in these minutes.

We meet at our regular time and Zoom coordinates, Friday 08-0930 pacific (your time zone may vary).

---

1. *Participation Information*

[1] Web3D Teleconference Information
     https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

Please use the following link for all Web3D Consortium Meetings.

Join URL: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09

Meeting ID: 81634670698      Meeting Password: 483805

One tap mobile
     US (New York) +1 929 205 6099,,(nine-digit number from Join URL above)#
     US (San Jose)  +1 669 900 6833,,(nine-digit number from Join URL above)#

---

Agenda items:

2. Planning

a. Conference dates announced, SIGGRAPH
https://s2020.siggraph.org/conference
"Beginning 17 August, on-demand content will be available. This will allow exploration, learning, and the opportunity for participants to review presentations in advance of interactive sessions with contributors beginning 24 August. Additionally, 24–28 August will include other various “can’t miss” scheduled sessions. For the convenience of participants, on-demand content will continue to be available for viewing through 27 October."

b. Web3D 2020 CFP announced.
    http://2020.web3dconference.org
    https://www.siggraph.org/the-25th-international-web3d-conference-call-for-papers-and-posters/

Important Dates:

July 27: Deadline for authors’ submission of papers (manuscripts for review, not just abstracts) to EasyChair; with no extensions. The paper review process starts immediately.
Aug 17: Reviews and rankings due from reviewers; Chairs make initial decision on acceptance, rejection, or returning to author for modification and resubmission. Authors not yet informed of decisions.
Sept 7: Final decision on acceptance/rejection of papers and posters, with notification of authors.
Sept 21: Deadline for authors of accepted papers and posters to submit final ‘camera-ready’ manuscripts.

c. Monday 20 July Web3D Member Meeting is being planned by Anita Havele.  Demonstrations are welcome, briefings are planned by each working group chair.

d. Revised timeline to X3D4 Draft publication: expected release is the mid-July member meeting.  Dick and I will plan to brief it.

e. Opportunities for engagement and contribution are many, we will continue to include them each week in the minutes.

---

3. Michalis Kamburelis presented an amazing overview of Pull Request 8 changes to draft X3D4 specification.  We plan accept Pull Request 8 next week to integrate Physically Based Rendering (PBR) and lighting with glTF support.

[3.0] [WIP] PBR and other lighting and material upgrades #8
       https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/pull/8

SPECIAL REFERENCE for today's presentation:

[3.01] X3D version 4: New features of materials, lights and textures
        https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/X3D-version-4:-New-features-of-materials,-lights-and-textures

This is an important session, fully recorded via Zoom.  Implementers and authors interested in X3D4 will find this intensely interesting.

FYSA, Castle Game Engine has an impressive set of recent announcements which illustrate these important rendering capabilities.

[3.1] Gamma Correction and Tone Mapping, 20 JUN 2020
       https://castle-engine.io/wp/2020/06/20/gamma-correction-and-tone-mapping

[3.2] Easy property to make animation blending, 19 JUN 2020
       https://castle-engine.io/wp/2020/06/19/easy-property-to-make-animation-blending

[3.3] Reading punctual lights from glTF, 11 JUN 2020
       https://castle-engine.io/wp/2020/06/11/reading-punctual-lights-from-gltf

Wow, what a session - am agog.  We have a magnificent 90-minutes of in-depth discussion and demonstration.  Will post-process and announce availability on YouTube.

STANDING OVATION for Michalis!  Wow.  Have fun with glTF and X3D4!  8)