[x3d-public] Pull request to X3D 4.0 to add PBR, and other improvements - merged!

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 02:59:37 PDT 2020

Hello,

I'm very happy to announce that my PR to introduce

- PhysicalMaterial,
- UnlitMaterial,
- lots of (Phong) Material upgrades,
- consistent RGB/grayscale texture treatment,
- Appearance.backMaterial (and deprecation of TwoSidedMaterial)

... is now merged into the "master" branch of the X3D 4.0 specification. So
it is very much on its way to the soon-to-be-published X3D 4.0 public
draft. And then to X3D 4.0 official release, after (I hope!) countless
people will review it and point out all the errors I did :)

Companion documents / tests:

1. My summary of these changes on the page
https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/X3D-version-4:-New-features-of-materials,-lights-and-textures
is (and will be) still accurate. So feel free to refer people to this
document for a "short high-level overview" of the changes.

2. Test files for this feature are in the
https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests repository, in pbr/
subdirectory. I plan to work on them more -- add some more, add reference
screenshots, add XML encoding versions etc.

3. Almost all specified things are implemented in Castle Game Engine /
view3dscene. https://castle-engine.io/view3dscene.php . In most cases, the
reference screenshots will be just a screenshot from view3dscene.

And a reminder about my "companion" documents:

4. The reasoning behind various decisions in the PBR specification is on
https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/How-to-add-PBR-to-X3D%3F .

5. The documentation on how various glTF concepts map to X3D, and how
Castle Game Engine does it, is on
https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/Converting-glTF-to-X3D .

All those documents are maintained and will be kept up-to-date.

Best regards,
Michalis