[x3d-public] X3D minutes 10 July 2020: X3D4 Pull Request 8 merged in main spec and reviewed, PBR and glTF

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Jul 10 11:37:48 PDT 2020

Attendees: Michalis Kamburelis, Doug Sanden, Anita Havele, Vince Marchetti, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman

Michalis reviewed X3D4 Pull Request 8 which is now merged with the main branch on github.

Please stay safe and vigilant out there!

Confirmed: no member-only info is present in these minutes.

We meet at our regular time and Zoom coordinates, Friday 08-0930 pacific (your time zone may vary).

---

1. *Participation Information*

[1] Web3D Teleconference Information
     https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

Please use the following link for all Web3D Consortium Meetings.

Join URL: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09

Meeting ID: 81634670698      Meeting Password: 483805

One tap mobile
     US (New York) +1 929 205 6099,,(nine-digit number from Join URL above)#
     US (San Jose)  +1 669 900 6833,,(nine-digit number from Join URL above)#

---

2. *Web3D Consortium Webinar*

Anita discussed schedule planning and described ongoing preparations, with a lineup that is looking impressive.

Please contact her if you wish to present and share a summary of work.

---

3. *Sound Component*

Separate minutes this week described sound component specification progress.  We expect a nearly releasable version at the end of next week.

Release of examples and updates to validation tools is about to commence.

---

4. *Physically Based Rendering (PBR) and glTF*

We again recorded video and questions/answers/discussion today.  Two videos will be going onto YouTube and Twitter in the near future.

Michalis gave a concise overview of X3D4 architectural changes, abstract interfaces and concrete nodes that provide full X3D support for glTF and Physically Based Rendering (PBR) capabilities.

[1] Web3D Consortium github, Extensible 3D (X3D) Specifications
     https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D

Lighting, texture/multitexture, single/two-sided materials, and rendering models are carefully described and will deserve broad study when implementing.

When discussing component/level support (likely Level 4 in X3D Shape component) Dick suggested an interesting possibility: defining an Realistic profile which included Immersive (approximately = VRML97) and PBR/glTF.

Since light intensity can be > 1, we considered possible adaptions for High Dynamic Range (HDR) rendering.  Conversion examples will be interesting.

[2] High-dynamic-range imaging
     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_imaging

Gamma corrections can help with tone mapping of HDR within a visible luminosity range, as reported earlier that is deferred until a future version of X3D4.

Everything looks implementable for strict validation in X3D XML Schema, X3D Unified Object Model (X3DUOM) and related assets.  That work will now begin.

We should ask Fraunhofer team, Khronos and ISO partners to carefully review this emerging draft - release planned for later this month.

Looking ahead: Doug Sanden reports finding close correspondence between glTF human models and HAnim, this will definitely be a topic of interest as X3D4 HAnim2 models mature further.

Once again, 1M thanks to Michalis for this tremendous achievement!  We will continue the journey together: dissemination and review, test-case examples, implementation and evaluation, and fabulously rendered coolness.

---

Have fun with PBR and glTF in X3D4!  8)