[x3d-public] Repeatable Unit Testing of DIS Protocol Behavior Streams for X3D

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 00:43:39 PDT 2020

Very interesting, Don.

I watched the video, and looked at the slides, well much of it.  This
reminds me of "Model Transformation by Demonstration (MTBD)" or
"Model-to-Model Transformation by Demonstration," protocol/log/trace
analysis, and finally "Programming by Demonstration (PbD)."

While this looks like a "continuous" demonstration, I wonder if OpenDIS
contains vectors/curves or points (events) for paths, it appears like this
work compresses motion into tracks.  I would be curious if the whole SUV
path could be described in a few equations, instead of X3D.  I am thinking
of Kalman filters, too.

Relative to PbD and MTBD, I wonder if multiple alternate paths could be
recorded in OpenDIS, and then a Switch could be employed, to alternate
between paths.  And then paths could also be composed in a variety of ways.
C&C could manually switch select paths at appropriate times during a
simulation.

I have not checked recent literature, but I haven't seen alternate
paths handled (except in protocol analysis, perhaps? I am thinking of
Estelle.  That's not recent literature, though).  Having optional or
alternate paths determined automatically would be a great boon to automated
driving, I would think, so that the car can select from the best of several
paths. I have seen where this work and MTBD can inference out and simplify
sequential vehicle/mouse moves.  I am also reminded of Richard Feynman's
"All possible paths."  Inferencing on alternate paths may be more
difficult?  Surely one can detect identical alternatives?  Would something
from git or svn source code help?

Also, another interesting thing is to do this in HAnim to record multiple
sessions for medical use (treatment analysis). I do not know if HAnim is in
DIS or not, but it would be interesting to do multiple mocaps, and compare
them, compress them, etc.

The idea would be of course, to compress alternate and recursive streams
into a single compressed program. I'm thinking of recording a person
"dancing" to program a computer.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dancelogic-innovative-youth-program-combines-coding-and-dance-2019-06-20/

Obviously, if an exception is thrown, the question would be how to handle
it.  I have not thought how to record exceptions in X3D or a data stream.
But I know people are very interested in exceptions.  Also, recovering
dropped data.

Finally, if we have data streams of OpenDIS or and the "single compressed
program" it would be interesting to issue SPARQL queries.

I have not really gotten into "analysis" of "programs" or streams, but it's
been on my mind.  I am thinking of BAYOU and TransCoder recently in the
news.  What if we could make X3D much quicker to program by hand?

I am however, very excited that we can turn X3D both into streams and
hierarchies!  Now let's git DIS input/output/compression into a hierarchy!

Maybe we can sit down at a lunch or conference sometime and discuss such
things.

What's my use case?  Game programming by demonstration (card games,
primarily, but something more complex than RoShamBo, which was shown) and
one-shot imitation game learning by demonstration, the primary purpose
being to generate the rules to the game for computer-mediated multiplayer
games.  These rules are also the "Why?" in XAI

John