[x3d-public] X3D agenda 16 July 2020: X3D4 draft specification preparation

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Jul 17 00:04:12 PDT 2020

1. We are preparing for public release of X3D4 specification.

Last year's release:

[1] X3Dv4 Draft Specification available to public now! 19 July 2019
     https://www.web3d.org/news-story/x3dv4-draft-specification-available-public-now

Available:
	.zip in github
	.pdf review document is generatable via Adobe Acrobat XI.

The pdf may be useful for some reviewers.  Pretty interesting: a total of (gulp!) 758 pages but only 6MB in size, all hyperlinks work and pretty easy to navigate.  We will consider whether this is a useful product for review.

[2] Mantis Issues List
     https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

We will perform triage on what is needed to publish, focusing on MUST HAVE to best enable broad review and implementation.

a. glTF and PBR
b. Sound component (adding node descriptions from Efi's draft document)
c. Mantis 1255 Projective Texture Mapping (PTM)
d. Mantis 1281 TwoSidedMaterial
e. Mantis 1273 Inline https support
f. Mantis 1262 Inline refresh
g. Mantis 1258 Layout component deprecation, yes or no?
h. Mantis 1182 BooleanToggle
i. Mantis 1183 IntegerTrigger
j. node index
k. version content

Anything else critical?

Many many issues are compete.  Today Dick and I noted that there are still a number of "blue" issues that are likely complete but still pending final review of validations, examples and implementatons.  We will not be cutting any corners, specification editing and issue resolution will continue steadily until done.

2. X3D4 Pages will be a weekly review item from now on.

[3] X3D Version 4 Overview
     https://www.web3d.org/x3d4

[4] X3D4 Highlights, provides a quicklook of major features under development.
     http://www.web3d.org/x3dv4-highlights

(needs PBR summary)

[5] X3D4 Implementations Status, provides summary links tracking active efforts.
     http://www.web3d.org/x3dv4-implementations

Thanks for all participation and review.  Have fun with X3D4! 8)