[x3d-public] X3D minutes16 July 2020: final assessment for X3D4 draft specification publication

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 13:21:27 PDT 2020

Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> g. Mantis 1258 Layout component deprecation, yes or no?
>     Following discussion: NO, implemented by Castle Game Engine,
> X_ITE/Titania, FreeWrl)

Clarification: Castle Game Engine *does not* (for now) implement Layout
component.

I merely pointed out today that X_ITE/Titania implement it :)

We *may* support Layout in the future. It seems a useful component
(although we already have a custom solution for layers in CGE, but adopting
X3D Layers is also useful). See my answer on
http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-October/011330.html .

> Great news: aligning with glTF PBR means that we don't have to re-invent
> or re-legislate hard-core 3D graphics capabilities.  Rather we happily ride
> above glTF with confidence that everything is renderable.  Doug mentioned a
> number of interesting capabilities that glTF community can answer.
>
> Not proposed or currently planned in X3D4.0: Khronos Universal Textures,
> Draco compression or OGC/Cesium tiles (for terrain).  These are likely
> wonderful topics for future discussion and potential adoption.  Having a
> strong basis for glTF in X3D4 makes all of these advanced capabilities
> directly actionable.

That is very true. We can now consider integrating more solutions from
glTF. You already mentioned some above, I can also add:

- Binary meshes in a GPU-friendly format. X3DOM already has them --
https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/Binary-meshes . I would
like to have them some day in Castle Game Engine, and X3D 4.x too :)

- Environment lighting. Deferred after X3D 4.0. But it will not wait long
:) I want this feature in CGE too, so I will work on it anyway rather soon.

- Maybe: Fancy material features for fabric, clearcoat. See

    https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/frame.html#BNIZX6#4
    https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/frame.html#7F7PN6#8

    From
https://doc.babylonjs.com/api/classes/babylon.gltf2.loader.extensions.khr_materials_clearcoat