[x3d-public] Interface hierarchy layout, other spec improvements

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 02:21:46 PDT 2020

Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> For X3D4 architecture specification in github:
>
> 1. Clause 4.4.2.3 Interface hierarchy (everyone's favorite section):
>
> For glTF-related nodes, added layout whitespace for the "proposedDeletion"
> sections corresponding to "proposed" additions of intermediate abstract
> node types.
>
> Seems more readable, it is much easier to see that there are no changes in
> the corresponding nodes themselves.  Michalis please check.

I saw this change, makes sense, thank you.

> 5. Architecture (table of contents): improved descriptions.  Still need
some work on Lighting and PBR synopses.

Do we need this? This chapter doesn't talk about lighting at all so far. It
only has one paragraph talking and linking to the "Lighting" component, and
this of course remains valid for PBR too :)

"""
The visual presentation of geometric objects in an X3D world follows a
conceptual model designed to resemble the physical characteristics of
light. The X3D lighting model describes how appearance properties and
lights in the world are combined to produce displayed colours (see 17
Lighting component for details).
"""

I would say we don't need more there :) But if you would like to add some
more prose about lighting / PBR there, I can help, please tell me where :)

Regards,
Michalis