[x3d-public] [x3dom-users] Whither protoexpander in X3DOM? umm, just define input-to-output and write code

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 10:56:12 PDT 2020

Just another incremental update which enables event routing into
ProtoInstances, via forwarding to the internal nodes:

https://andreasplesch.github.io/x3dom/test/functional/proto/inline.html
https://5ed930d641a27700082647b9--x3dom.netlify.app/examples/functional/proto/inline.html

Sofar it was possible to treat ProtoInstance as a statement without
generating a full X3DNode derived member of the scene graph. This was
easier to reason about, following the expansion approach. But I start
to think it required essentially reimplementing enough of the X3DNode
related functionality that it may be time to try to switch to have a
ProtoInstanceNode itself in the scenegraph which then internally
represents itself with the Proto definition.

What would be a good example to test routing events emitted from a
ProtoInstance, without a script node ? Eg. a useful Proto which
generates events ? Perhaps a combination of event utilities ?

-Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453