[x3d-public] X3D agenda 5 June 2020: new room link, Web3D 2020 papers deadline, mantis issues

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Jun 5 07:21:29 PDT 2020

Call planned this week will be in the new Web3D Zoom room.

[0] Web3D Teleconference Information
     https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

> Please use the following link for all Web3D Consortium Meetings.
>
> Join URL: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09
>
> Meeting ID: 816 3467 0698      Meeting Password: 483805
>
> One tap mobile
>
>     US (New York) +1 929 205 6099,,(nine-digit number from Join URL above)#
>     US (San Jose)  +1 669 900 6833,,(nine-digit number from Join URL above)#
Topics follow.

-----

1. Web3D 2020 Conference forecast.

     Web3D 2020, The 25th International Conference on 3D Web Technology
     9-13 November 2020, Virtual Conference, "3D for a Hyperconnected World"
     https://2020.web3dconference.org

Papers and proposals due *5 July 2020* - real soon now, get hot!!

-----

2. X3D4 draft specification publication: request all active input efforts are complete this month.

a. We last published an X3D4 public draft one year ago, in support of SIGGRAPH 2019.

     X3Dv4 Draft Specification available to public now!
     Release reviewed satisfactorily by X3D Working Group, 19 July 2019.
     https://www.web3d.org/news-story/x3dv4-draft-specification-available-public-now
       Web3D at SIGGRAPH 2019
     https://www.web3d.org/event/siggraph-2019

b. We are now nearing the planned milestone for public release, again prior to (virtual) SIGGRAPH 2020.

     SIGGRAPH 2020
     https://s2020.siggraph.org
     https://s2020.siggraph.org/attend/health-and-safety

     X3D Version 4 Overview
     https://www.web3d.org/x3d4

c. All contributors are asked to have their inputs complete and reflected in the spec.

     https://github.com/Web3DConsortium     (public)
     https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D (working group, member only)

     Mantis Issue tracker: View Issues
     https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

As specification editors, Dick and I request that everything be sorted out and complete this month, deadline 30 June.  That will enable us to confirm readiness for publication, so that X3D Working Group can recommend draft publication to Web3D Board of Directors.

-----

3. Mantis issues

As discussed in several email threads on x3d-public, we will be reviewing and resolving multiple issues today.

[1] Mantis Issue Tracker
     https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/my_view_page.php

[2.1] Mantis 1280: Add quality parameter for Geometry3D primitives
       https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1280

[2.2] Mantis 1304: allowing animation of Cone, Cylinder bottom/side/top
       https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1304

[2.3] Mantis 1264: NavigationInfo type TURNTABLE HELICOPTER GAME FREEFLY
       https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1264

[2.4] Mantis 1194: 23.4.4 NavigationInfo - VIEWALL should be a required navigation behaviour
       https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1194

[2.5] Mantis 904: ShaderPart, ShaderProgram: incorrect value list for type field
       https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=904

-----

5. Refamiliarization discussion: will soon retackle the following issues, driving towards closure on potential field-name changes for X3DUOM in X3D4.

Any red flags or suggestions/precautions are worth considering.  We aim to improve X3D4 internal consistency.

[3.0] X3D Scene Authoring Hints: Potential future changes for improved consistency of field names
       https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dSceneAuthoringHints.html#fieldNameChanges

Ongoing work for X3D Version 4 and X3D Unified Object Model (X3DUOM) makes a number of candidate optimizations possible and (in most cases) desirable. Consistent X3D scene-graph architecture across multiple file encodings and programming-language bindings is important.

The following consistency changes to SFNode/MFNode field names in X3Dv4 might reduce the number of containerField variations by more than half.  Further simplification benefits are foreseen for X3D4 implementations, X3D authors, and X3D Ontology field disambiguation.

a.    CADFace issue Mantis 1234 to change unnecessarily different containerField='shape' and rename as containerField='children' instead.

b.    Collision: content model definitions for contained nodes are insufficiently strict. See issue Mantis 1149.

c.    DISEntityTypeMapping: enter Mantis issue to change unnecessarily different containerField='mapping' and rename as containerField='children' instead.

d.    CollidableShape: enter Mantis issue to change unnecessarily different field name containerField='shape' and rename as containerField='children' instead.

e.    ComposedCubeMapTexture, TextureBackground: enter Mantis issue to make six sets of field names identical for contained textures, e.g. backTexture becomes back etc.

f.    GeoLOD: see issue Mantis 920 to change unnecessarily different field name containerField='rootNode' and rename as containerField='children' instead. Also enter Mantis issue to implement object interface X3DUrlObject.

g.    GeoMetadata: enter Mantis issue to implement object interface X3DUrlObject.

h.    LoadSensor: enter Mantis issue to change unnecessarily different field name containerField='watchList' and rename as containerField='children' instead. Child node restrictions can achieve a functionally equivalent effect and improve the object-oriented design.

i.    ParticleSystem: enter Mantis issue to change unnecessarily different field names colorRamp, texCoordRamp and rename as regular defaults color, texCoord instead. Also allow TextureCoordinateGenerator as an alternative to TextureCoordinate for that child node.

j.    Nodes in the Programmable shader component all field names deserve a further close look. While everything works correctly, node naming is confusing and clarity is certainly improvable.

These changes will be considered by Web3D Consortium members with subsequent review by the X3D Community. Companies, institutions, agencies and individuals are invited to Join Web3D Consortium to participate and influence this important continuing evolution of X3D.

Subject to ongoing discussion, I expect to begin applying changes to X3D Schema/DTD/X3DUOM on an issue-by-issue bases.

Thanks in advance for all insights and help.

-----

4. Anything else for us to discuss together today?

- TBD

Next week: glTF and Physically Based Rendering update by Michalis Kamburelis, hopefully recording and publishing this briefing.

Have fun with X3D!  8)