[x3d-public] ECMAScript (JavaScript) language support for X3D

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Jun 6 23:55:06 PDT 2020

On 6/4/2020 12:31 AM, John Carlson wrote:
> I also saw that JSON was standardized by ISO.  See:
>
> https://www.iso.org/standard/71616.html

Dated 2017.

ISO reference [7] below includes JSON and is dated 2018, so that takes precedence.

X3D is an ISO/IEC spec so we always list other ISO/IEC specs first, based on ISO rules.

ISO has been closely tracking with ECMA for a number of years now.  ECMA has liaison status so it is an additional layer of formal review that occurs.

> Good news!

Yes

>  Can we progress without a standardized schema?

Why sure.  Validation is never a requirement for operation, it is "merely" exceptionally valuable to tell whether something is correct or not.

I personally don't think further work on X3D JSON is worthwhile on that until we get JSON validation capabilities.  What we have now seems to work for all cases, so further refinements will depend on such testing.  YMMV.