[x3d-public] Visualizing Math in X3D

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 00:54:00 PDT 2020

Don, I am just trying to make the standard better for visualizing
mathematical stuff,   I pretty much majored in mathematical visualization
in college.   There’s a lot of stuff in the standard for visualizing
physics, both rigid body and particle systems.   Instead of applying math
to physics, I am trying to apply physics to math.

I realize that visualizing math does not really have a vocal champion in
the X3D community, perhaps Andy Yeh is still around.

I imagine because Mathematica made great strides in the math community.

Mathematica still requires a Pro edition running on the cloud to even
attempt my surfaces.   In X3D, they pop right up, even multiple
“transparent” animated objects. Yay X3D!

PlayCanvas has a *very* slow start up compared to X3D.

I would like to continue using X3D over PlayCanvas and others.  The key
remains don’t use the network for mesh, positions, or normals, generate
them on the web client.   My knowledge of geometry shaders indicates I
still need to compute a grid on a sphere, and the geometry shader can
enhance that.

That is why I am seeking to have the browser generate the mesh for at least
one topology, let’s call it a sphere, but it’s the topology of the equation
that matters.   I can already position and compute normals of the
surfaces.  I could probably compute a mesh as sphere topology in an
initialize method if that’s still allowed.  I am not sure about X_ITE.   I
do not want to generate coordinates in X3D nodes.   Shaders are fine for
that.   I am not sure I can confidently generate a mesh without defects.

Low bandwidth (think 4G LTE) is preferred.

But you can see my Frustration compared to Mathematica users who just type
in a small set of equations.  Not my lucky day.

I do not want geometry or perfect math in X3D.   I want a topological
0-hole enclosed surface, subdivided to adequate resolution.

I will look further into primitive quality.

I will see if my graphics card supports raytracing.

John