[x3d-public] Proto field default value question

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 13:10:41 PDT 2020

Apologies for being a bit too concise but I think we have it sorted out.

Please note that it is not allowed for proto to instance itself (for
recursive definitions):

https://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/concepts.html#Prototypescopingrules

-Andreas

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 12:06 PM Joseph D Williams <joedwil at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Something ignored if something default?
>

> Please use the last value you get, which is the value used in the instance, if given.
>
> If I read this right, what you said is that you are ignoring the instance value if there is a default value in the proto?
>
> Actually, if that is so, something is missing in our ability to prototype.
>
> The main idea is that, for the x3d user, the proto can be used just like any x3d concrete node instance.
>
> So, the instance is either the same, or it is different. The user expects to be able to set initial values for appropriate fields of the instance.
>

> Anyway, the proto is not like a DEF/USE, which seems easy, until you start actually systematically solve problems with questions like what happens to the USE when you change the DEF, or what if you purposefully provide another, same name DEF in the same context, and use solutions that tend toward very tolerant processing.
>

> Hey, the proto is how we make our own nodes. That is the way it has always been and the best tools provide the highest functionality protos. For example how can we develop hanim Joint and Site, improving sensors, and even extend hanim deformable mesh like animations? Bigness in protos with scripts and childlike protos, and import/export weird and wonderful data, is required for user to actively augment the standard nodes and adjust those fields.
>

> And really, it is so wonderful to expose realistically usable protos to the web. Hey, if a proto cannot instance itself, is it really a proto?
>
> Bridge the great gap between the great vrml/x3d plugins and the joyfully evolving xmlization and domification of realtime interactive x3d.
>

> Thanks to All,
>
> Joe

Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453