[x3d-public] ECMAScript SAI & friends. Present and Future

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 14:41:33 PDT 2020

Recommendation, Route 1:

1) Totally remove x3d/stylesheets/java/node/node_modules from subversion.

2) Install a C++ compiler, Visual Studio Community recommended, others
(g++) may be possible.

3) run npm install in x3d/stylesheets/java/node folder in a bash window.

4) Run ant test.node in 3's folder.

Recommendation, Route 2:

1) Write the equivalent of Python X3DJSAIL, Java X3DJSAIL, ... as an
ECMAScript 6+ module,

Recommendation, Route 3:

1) Do not write a Node or ES6 module, instead adopt X_ITE's SAI library.
Use Serializers/Stylesheets to target/test X_ITE.

The problem I see with Route 3 is that it provides no value that I
currently see, whatsoever, except for testing SAI environments, which may
be valuable.  Don has already provided this with the X3D resources archives
and converting to X_ITE.

I will set aside Route 1 until someone requests it. I don't see Route 3 as
that valuable.

So if we adopt Route 2, we will need a Serializer/Stylesheet combo to test
any library.

I can begin to start writing a serializer based on existing ES6 prototype
module.  We have very few examples to base Route 2 on presently. We have
existing SAI standard and other SAI examples. We have an unfinished
VRMLScriptSerializer.js which was intended for Route 3.   We have
X3dToNodeJS.xslt and many JavaScript examples based on X3DJSAIL, which was
Route 1.

The good news is, I've spent some type creating a JSON SAX-like parser for
the ES6 module, and the very beginnings of a SAX parser based on a npm
module.  I also have an XML output methods.

My understanding from the meeting today was to pursue Route 2.

What I will need from Jeff is to read X3D XML files and output JavaScript
"apps" that follow the x3d.mjs (ES6) module. I suggest using the python
language for converting. So we will have Python, XSLT and JavaScript for
conversions.   We will use the toXMLNode() found in the ES6 module to
confirm our conversions.  Jeff, let me know if you're up for this.

Work will continue in this repository:

https://github.com/coderextreme/es6x3d

XML (.x3d) examples found here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/x3d/code/HEAD/tree/www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/