[x3d-public] X3D Agenda 19 June 2020: Mantis issues

GPU Group gpugroup at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 12:44:34 PDT 2020

1252            PointProperties node specification;
PointSet/LineSet/IndexedLineSet can contain Normal

EXTRUSION - if you have a Line with normals, then perhaps if  you extrude,
you could get surface normals?

(a SPEC COMMENT early proposed extending extrusion to geometry2D, including
lines and points - points being extruded into lines)
-Doug
SPEC COMMENT
Geometry3D >
13.3.5 Extrusion
One view/perspective/model/theory of x3d: a hypermedia format. It provides
integrated access to multiple common media types.
Corollary to the hypermedia theory: if/when scene authors complain about a
lack of authoring tools for x3d, they are in effect saying x3d is not
sufficiently harmonized/coordinated with common media.

Currently Extrusion takes MFVec2f. For filling end caps it must be closed,
and so its awkward to do a hole/cut-out: you need a connector between outer
and inner edge to do a hole, with change of direction to avoid crossover -
something that's not easy/convenient with a common authoring tool and so
typically must be done by hand or by making special algorithms to reverse
polyline direction.

In theory any 2D geometry should be extrudable into the 3rd dimension.
- Text
- NURBS curve2D (see NURBS Component Swept and Swung surfaces)
- geometry2D > Polyline2D, Rectangle2D, Disk2D, Circle2D, ArcClose2D Arc2D,
TriangleSet2D
- maybe PolyPoint2D could be extruded into lines

To do that, Extrusion would need to take a node or nodes.
Extrusion
- crossSectionGeometry SFNode (or MFNode) [geometry2D,Text2D,NurbsCurve2D]

For implementation, 2D geometry nodes would report a list of extrudable
edges, and any fillable area for use as end-cap
Then the extrusion node would extrude the edges - filling in triangulated
quads between edge segments.
And add end caps if available and desired.

Missing from Geometry2D: a way to generate nested or intersecting polyline
/ polygon sets.
For example in font text, the O or P have an outer edge, and an inner edge
- 2 unconnected edges in a set.
PolygonSet2D
- MFNode polylines <polyline2d>
Currently Polyline2D has no fill option
Polygon2D : Polyline2D
- SFBool fill
Then
PolygonSet2D
- MFNode polygons <polygon2d>
And this PolygonSet2D is the kind of structure Extrusion could use to do
its extrusion on edges and end cap filling, in a general way, and that's
easier to export from common authoring tools.</polygon2d></polyline2d>

/SPEC COMMENT