[x3d-public] X3D Agenda 19 June 2020: Mantis issues

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Jun 19 15:58:21 PDT 2020

Thanks Michalis, very helpful.  Have added this to Mantis 1310.

* Mantis 1310: near, far clipping planes indirectly specified by NavigationInfo, consider addition to X3DViewpointNode
   https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1310

So far so good, however: practice has shown an important use case that is difficult to handle: shifting between local views and faraway (e.g. terrain-oriented) views.

... so we might consider the ability to override these values in a Viewpoint, since they are typically needed when shifting between such views.

Suggested specification addition:

23.3.1 X3DViewpointNode
https://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/navigation.html#X3DViewpointNode

Viewpoint : X3DViewpointNode {
  SFFloat    [in,out] nearClippingPlane -1     -1 or [0,infinity)
  SFFloat    [in,out]  farClippingPlane -1     -1 or [0,infinity)
}

"If specified and non-negative, the values specified for nearClippingPlane and farClippingPlane define the near and far clipping plane distances when the X3DViewpointNode is bound.  Otherwise these values are defined by the bound NavigationInfo node, including when the X3DViewpointNode is unbound."

Hopefully this strikes a good balance... X3D3 defaults are maintained, and X3D4 authors have more straightforward options.