[x3d-public] OpenGL deprecated by Apple?

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Mon Jun 29 21:49:47 PDT 2020

John,

Are you referring to this from 2018?
https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/06/apple-defends-end-of-opengl-as-mac-game-developers-threaten-to-leave/

Apple is not very standards compliant. All browsers on iOS need to use
Safari as their rendering engine; and Safari is not know for its great
WebGL support.

It will just mean that the walled Apple garden will get higher walls and
keep out more people and content. There will always be the faithful, but
that will reduce in number.

Microsoft handles OpenGL by on-the-fly converting it to DirectX. I do
not see Apple undertaking that kind of development program.

Leonard Daly

> What does this mean for webgl, three.js,X3DOM and x_ite?
>
> Also, how does WASM affect 3D graphics APIs

*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant
LA ACM SIGGRAPH Past Chair