[x3d-public] PROTO authoring. How is is done?

GPU Group gpugroup at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 16:13:25 PST 2020

John,
without commenting on specific authoring tools, I can say freewrl -and
likely flux/vivaty- x3d browser/renderer uses the same code to render the
body of a proto, inline and scene.
The difference between a scene and proto body: The body can have IS that
connect fields to the proto interface.
So in theory an authoring tool could edit protos by recursing: pushing a
scene body/context onto a stack, authoring a new 'mini scene' allowing
ISing, and when popping off, the protoDeclare would show. And in theory
that pushing and popping can be done recursively - meaning you could author
a protodeclare to be used inside a protobody.
-Doug