[x3d-public] X3D APIS for Qt, Python, ECMAScript

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Mar 2 06:44:44 PST 2020

Hi John.  Can we meet via phone some time this week to discuss?  Happy to learn more and support as able.

1. X3D Unified Object Model (X3DUOM) is a thorough representation of X3D scene graph.  If something needs to be added, can consider that.

Qt is cross platform, seems to have C++ innards similar to primary python distribution.

I found your work as follows but not sure what to do with it:
https://sourceforge.net/p/x3d/code/HEAD/tree/www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/python/examples/gui.py
https://sourceforge.net/p/x3d/code/HEAD/tree/www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/python/examples/gui.x3d

Wondering what the project's primary goal is, writing a new LGPL X3D scene editor in Qt?  Or nonrendering API X3DQtSAIL?

Or perhaps you are thinking of something that adds X3D to the following project?

* The Future of Qt 3D
   https://www.qt.io/blog/the-future-of-qt-3d

* Qt 3D Studio 2.6 Released
   https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-3d-studio-2.6-released

* Qt 3D Studio Manual
   https://doc.qt.io/qt3dstudio/index.html
   https://doc.qt.io/qt3dstudio/3d-assets.html
   https://doc.qt.io/qt3dstudio/graphics.html

---

2. Python concern: shouldn't your new work be a separate project to avoid creating problems and synchronization difficulties in the current project in the /stylesheets/python directory.  This would let x3d.py evolve without unintended clobbers emerging in the future.

Am also thinking we should finally rename the X3D Python Package to X3DPSAIL, matching X3DJSAIL both in acronym and concept since it already matches in functionality.  Probably long overdue.  We also now have time to write a paper for Web3D 2020 since the conference was postponed to November.

---

3. Next: also had a old+new idea to consider following recent discussion with Katie Unger of Synergy Software Design (cc:ed).  What if we used X3DUOM and autogenerated an ECMAScript SAI for X3D called X3DESAIL that patterned X3D scene graph accessors following your X3DJSONLD patterns, was primarily oriented towards Node.js, and also added utility methods facilitating use in combination with X3DOM X_ITE and Three.js.  That harmonization might be something widely useful.

TIA for your efforts, as always best wishes for your work.

v/r Don