[x3d-public] X3D4 PBR specification review: updates and demos

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Mar 3 10:44:33 PST 2020

Attendees: Michalis Kamburelis, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman

Michalis showed and described a number of updates to the Physically Based Rendering (PBR) capabilities for X3D4, matching glTF capabilities.  Variations in lighting, normal mapping, textures and many other features look great!  Very dramatic progress.  8)

[1] X3D4 draft specification, pull request 8
     https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/pull/8

[2] Test scenes
     https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/tree/master/pbr

Now contains demo of
   - Material with diffuseTexture combined with emissiveTexture, normalTexture, shininessTexture, specularTexture, ambientTexture
   - UnlitMaterial
   - PhysicalMaterial
- UnlitMaterial added
- PhysicalMaterial for punctual lights implemented
   - with metallic/roughness tests

CGE view3dscene github/snapshot version is supporting latest work.

* https://castle-engine.io

   with dev snapshots at
* http://michalis.ii.uni.wroc.pl/view3dscene-snapshot

TODO list of all nodes added and changed - mostly covered in draft spec, implementation efforts continue.

Animation button has been added to current view3dscene that supports fine-grained animation control.  Cool and helpful!  (Screenshot attached).

Possibility of automating screenshot images and videos via command line: this will be a good feature to start exercising as part of the examples so that everyone can see what expected rendering looks like.  This would put good reference examples.

- Don is currently tuning NPS Xj3Dv2.2 for such images and will explore how we can do this with view3dscene for advanced rendering + X3D4 support.

Long-term: keeping these examples in place is great.  Will further think about how to best locate Michalis' open-source reference examples in Web3D version control as part of overall X3D4 delivery.

Looking ahead, near term:  more work continues, but it seems like time to share this big effort for viewing comment.  It will take time for everyone to absorb.

Comparing with glTF is especially useful... we will convert/implement all of the glTF examples for direct comparison.  Some small X3D4 differences will be evident (for example allowing lighting-equation variability and differing default values for glTF lighting coefficients/fields). We also expect to consider gamma correction.

X3D weekly teleconference discussion/demonstration planned for 13 March.

- Discussion point includes whether it is OK to start a public/implementer comment period.

- Future edits to draft spec will be in PR8, but not until Michalis/Dick/Don are ready.

- When the working group agrees that draft X3D4 PBR PR8 is at a sufficient level of maturity, important topic will be when can public review begin.  This will be important to make sure we have an excellent implementation.  Sooner will be better than later.

I must add that Web3D membership has value.  If you have not yet joined, please consider doing so.

* Join the Web3D Consortium
   https://www.web3d.org/join

Everyone (member and public) interested should plan to attend the Friday March 13 meeting.

Meanwhile: heavy applause for Michalis!!  Here we go...