[x3d-public] X3D Open Meeting on Physically Based Rendering (PBR) and glTF support

Anita Havele anita.havele at web3d.org
Fri Mar 13 12:00:42 PDT 2020

Thank you for attending our open X3D WG meeting today! As we continue
working on X3D4 specification, major pieces of work in progress are now
mature and ready to be included in the spec. This open meeting was
specifically for: glTF lighting and physically based rendering (PBR)
work. Feedback and reactions are always welcome.

Michalis Kamburelis <https://github.com/michaliskambi/>, author of
Castle Game Engine (CGE) <https://castle-engine.io/>described and
demonstrated proposed X3D4
<https://www.web3d.org/x3dv4-highlights>changes for PBR and glTF
support.  Several models demonstrating these capabilities were discussed
along with comparative implementation in other X3D4 players. Thank you,
Michalis for this excellent work!

Here are some links to the discussions and demos from today’s meeting.

1.PBR why do we need it in X3D:

https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/What-is-PBR-and-why-do-we-want-it-in-X3D%3F

2.X3D4 |PhysicalMaterialnode. C|onsistent with glTF to facilitate X3D
and X3D browsers to support glTF.It’s easy to handle glTF by converting
to X3D nodes "under the hood".

https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/X3D-version-4:-New-features-of-materials,-lights-and-textures

https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/Gamma-correction-in-X3D-and-glTF

3.Castle Animation: A series of static 3D frames in-lined in a large XML
file, or external files. Animation shows transition from the first frame
to the last. Where models are /structurally equal/, intermediate frames
are created by a linear interpolation to show smooth changes.

https://castle-engine.io/castle_animation_frames.php

4.Bump mapping for cloth

https://github.com/castle-engine/demo-models/tree/master/bump_mapping/cloth

5.Bumpmapping Lizardman
https://github.com/castle-engine/demo-models/tree/master/bump_mapping/lizardman

6.Demo Models (Share your relevant use case models to add to this
repository)

https://github.com/castle-engine/demo-models

7.View3dscence Browser:

https://michalis.ii.uni.wroc.pl/view3dscene-snapshots/

8.Import Export support

https://castle-engine.io/creating_data_blender.php

9.Castle Engine:

https://castle-engine.io/

Again, thank you for your participation today. Feedback and reactions
are always welcome. A draft schedule for X3D4 is ready, based on member
discussions, but we are still watching world events and conference
delays/cancellations closely.  Meanwhile subscribe to
x3d-public at web3d.org <mailto:x3d-public at web3d.org> and watch this space.

michalis.kambi at gmail.com <mailto:michalis.kambi at gmail.com>

x3d-public at web3d.org <mailto:x3d-public at web3d.org>

x3d at web3d.org <mailto:x3d at web3d.org>

More Information about Web3D Consortium <www.web3d.org>and Membership
<www.web3d.org/join>

Best regards,
Anita-Havele
Executive Director, Web3D Consortium *www.web3d.org* <http://www.web3d.org>
Email: anita.havele at web3d.org - Phone: +1 248 342 7662
650 Castro Street, Suite #120-490, Mountain View, California 94041 USA
*http://www.web3d.org/havele*