[x3d-public] X3D Open Meeting on Physically Based Rendering (PBR) and glTF support

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 14:20:31 PDT 2020

Small notes:

1. The most important link, which is basically a summary of what I
talked about, is the
https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/X3D-version-4:-New-features-of-materials,-lights-and-textures
(2nd point of Anita's mail).

    There are many more links from
https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/What-is-PBR-and-why-do-we-want-it-in-X3D%3F
that describe PBR in much more depth than I did. You will find there
discussions why exactly it is more physically correct, how the artists
should perceive the new parameters (metallic, roughness) etc.

2. The demos of new material features in X3Dv4 are in
https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/ (in the pbr/
subdirectory).

    Demo models on https://github.com/castle-engine/demo-models
showcase various CGE features, but they are not focused on X3Dv4
improvements.

    Pull requests to all repositories are most welcome :)

3. The bug about ignored diffuseTextureChannel value, that occurred
during the presentation, is fixed now :) It was specific to the
diffuse parameter. (e.g. emissiveTextureChannel worked OK already, but
I confused myself when trying to test it).

So now e.g. this works as expected:

```
material Material {
  diffuseTexture ImageTexture { url "test_texture.png" }
  diffuseTextureChannel 1
}
```

The fix will be available in ~15 minutes in view3dscene from
snapshots, http://michalis.ii.uni.wroc.pl/view3dscene-snapshots/ .

Best regards,
Michalis