[x3d-public] NPS Xj3D 2.2 release available

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Mar 19 21:25:52 PDT 2020

NPS Xj3D 2.2 release is now available after much lengthy work.  We are building with OpenJDK 13.0.2 and further testing under Apache Netbeans 11.3.

Xj3D is an open-source browser and application programming interface written in Java for X3D and VRML97 graphics scenes.

     Updated! Xj3D is upgraded to latest Java 13 (OpenJDK 13) and moved to https://gitlab.nps.edu/Savage/xj3d
     Next steps: finish documentation updates and begin adding support for X3D version 4.

* Savage Developers, Xj3D viewer: NPS source
   https://savage.nps.edu/Savage/developers.html#Xj3D

* Xj3D version control
   https://gitlab.nps.edu/Savage/xj3d.git

* Xj3D jars and standalone installers
   https://savage.nps.edu/Xj3D.nps/jars
   https://savage.nps.edu/Xj3D.nps/installers

Once again Terry Norbraten NPS has accomplished numerous improvements including upgraded jogamp (jogl and audio) library, Replica screen capture and multivarious bug fixes.

Many hundreds of thumbnail and viewpoint screenshots are now provided or improved, all checked into version control for each X3D model.  These make excellent unit tests for each.

* X3D Resources, Examples: Scene Archives for X3D
   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Examples

* Log of image-capture results (27MB)
   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/build.captureImages.all.log.txt

Fixes are occasional and ongoing as we proceed.  Today's regression testing caught the X3D specification omission of IndexedFaceSet in the CADInterchange profile - issue reported separately.  Meanwhile the scene was corrected with strict compliance by adding an appropriate <component> statement, then Xj3D was satisfied regarding validity.  Extremely strict but notably this deficiency was not caught by any of our other QA tools.

Have fun with Xj3D!  8)