[x3d-public] [semantics-public] X3D Semantic Web 30 MAR 2020: OWL-Time considerations for X3D Ontology and animation mappings

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Mar 31 22:16:47 PDT 2020

When you consider the immense types of animation techniques that have been demonstrated in X3D/VRML, and then consider that all of these timing examples have the simple TimeSensor node at it's core, the expressive power of the event model becomes evident.

Since fields in any X3D node can be modified by TimeSensor-driven event passing, model authors can accomplish and publish whatever animation technique they can think of.

* X3D Example Archives: X3D for Web Authors, Chapter 07 Event Animation Interpolation
   https://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter07EventAnimationInterpolation

* slideset
   http://x3dgraphics.com/slidesets/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter07EventAnimationInterpolation.pdf

* video
   https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuSIsM-86simo9kv21MLgaNKw7LGg8HjL

Aligning our animation jargon (which already maps well to other 3D technologies) with Owl-Time and other semantic ontologies will someday open up many doors for information queries and corresponding data-driven animated visualization.