[x3d-public] X3D agenda 1 May 2020: X3D4 Audio and Sound Component

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri May 1 20:47:14 PDT 2020

Yeah, I need to look at the X3D hierarchy.

I see where Don showed us the X3DGroupingNode.  I also thought of using
routes, but that's for Events.  Maybe we could have a special kind of route
in XML for any media type.  We already have MF* and SF* routes (field
change routes).   ROUTEs are fairly well supported, and we can always use
directOutput.  I think the problem occurs when we bounce audio off a
shape.   So perhaps we need a Physics node? I'm guessing this is handled by
WebAudio.

If I look at messaging systems, they use Publish/Subscribe (pub/sub) on
topical messages.  This would allow for someone to listen to a sound at a
later time.   Like voicemail.  So there's Many-to-One, One-to-Many,
Many-to-Many and One-to-One (fan-in, fan-out).

I think we should use a pattern that follows the ROUTE solution, even
though ROUTE are for events. I'm imagining this from a designers point of
view.   AudioContext's appear to be ROUTEs for sound, except that
AudioContexts specify the only the Node (DEF/USE) at each. Let not reinvent
a whole new paradigm of thinking. SoundRoute?

ROUTEs have fromNode, fromField, toNode, toField. We would be able to do
something like SoundTransforms (effects) by routing to and from sound
transform nodes.  What if i wanted to send an MFDouble from a Sound Node to
a Coordinate Node for visual music effects?

I would not suggest MFAudio or SFAudio.  Floats and Doubles are fine, even
in any number dimensions.  We may also want to think about indexed nodes
for sharing.

But we're just doing WebAudio right now.   Perhaps I will join the
conversation on the API.

John