[x3d-public] Normal node precision

vmarchetti at kshell.com vmarchetti at kshell.com
Wed May 6 07:36:50 PDT 2020

Since the Normal node data is defined as MFVec3f type, which is vectors based on "single-precision floating points", and in section 5.3.5 https://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/index.html , single precision is described as requiring at least 6 (decimal) digits of precision. So a sensible specification for the normal vector data would be

abs( sqrt( n[0]*n[0] + n[1]*n[1] + n[2]*n[2]) - 1.0) <= 1.0e-6  , must be satisfied for each normal vector n with components n[i]

I judge it would be useful to include this in the specification. I don't judge it would be appropriate to specify what browsers should do for non-normalized normal vectors. This is the classic problem for software developers about hardest engineering factor, and that is users and the the mistakes they make -- and by users I mean content authors who don't properly prepare their models. Individual browsers need to make the tradeoff between accepting bad input and providing quality output; given that this tradeoff also depends on the target market.