[x3d-public] NavigationInfo modes: TURNTABLE HELICOPTER GAME

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed May 20 11:07:58 PDT 2020

X3DOM lists three NavigationInfo modes that are not listed in the specification: TURNTABLE HELICOPTER GAME

[1] X3DOM Navigation
     https://doc.x3dom.org/tutorials/animationInteraction/navigation/index.html

   "Currently X3DOM supports the following interactive navigation modes: Examine, Walk, Fly, Look-at, Look-around, Turntable, Game and Helicopter."

However am not able to find functional documentation for these nodes.  Is anyone familiar?

We do have one Mantis issue posted for TURNTABLE mode, but not the others:

[2] Mantis issue 1264: NavigationInfo type TURNTABLE
     https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1264

Wondering if someone is willing and able to propose and define these modes for X3D4 specification?

We would need specification prose, example source and example models to unlock these valuable authoring capabilities for improved User Experience (UX).  Probably not very difficult if X3DOM does it already.

Additions would go into X3D4, adding to existing prose at

[3] X3D Architecture, clause 23 Navigation component
     https://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/navigation.html

We will take a regular look at these in the Web3D UX working group meetings.