[x3d-public] [x3dom-developers] NavigationInfo modes: TURNTABLE HELICOPTER GAME

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Thu May 21 03:58:54 PDT 2020

Hi Don,

I think the tutorial page you found

https://doc.x3dom.org/tutorials/animationInteraction/navigation/index.html

has some functional description of each mode further down the page.
This is probably the most complete description other than reading the
source code.

Out of those helicopter and game mode would be the most interesting
ones. I am not sure if they still work well.

helicopter mode is for more controlled flying. I think it always stays
upright like turntable. I think mouse movement is not used.

game mode is using the mouse and keyboard together. The mouse for
turning the head and the keyboard for moving the body. In addition to
the arrow keys for strafing left/right, and going forward/backward,
often the asdw keys are also used: ad for left/right, ws for
forward/backward. In x3dom asdw is used for other purposes. 'a' is
ShowAll, an important feature which gives you a sane viewpoint looking
the complete scene.

Perhaps this is start, -Andreas

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 2:08 PM Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> X3DOM lists three NavigationInfo modes that are not listed in the specification: TURNTABLE HELICOPTER GAME
>
> [1] X3DOM Navigation
>      https://doc.x3dom.org/tutorials/animationInteraction/navigation/index.html
>
>    "Currently X3DOM supports the following interactive navigation modes: Examine, Walk, Fly, Look-at, Look-around, Turntable, Game and Helicopter."
>
> However am not able to find functional documentation for these nodes.  Is anyone familiar?
>
> We do have one Mantis issue posted for TURNTABLE mode, but not the others:
>
> [2] Mantis issue 1264: NavigationInfo type TURNTABLE
>      https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1264
>
> Wondering if someone is willing and able to propose and define these modes for X3D4 specification?
>
> We would need specification prose, example source and example models to unlock these valuable authoring capabilities for improved User Experience (UX).  Probably not very difficult if X3DOM does it already.
>
> Additions would go into X3D4, adding to existing prose at
>
> [3] X3D Architecture, clause 23 Navigation component
>      https://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/navigation.html
>
> We will take a regular look at these in the Web3D UX working group meetings.

> Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br       brutzman at nps.edu
> X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman

Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453