[x3d-public] New ECMAScript 6+ library. Needs X3dToES6.xslt!

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Thu May 21 22:19:29 PDT 2020

I am trying to develop requirements for a new es6 "scenegraph" library that
is being developed (generated) under the auspices of the X3D sourceforge
repository.

Currently, the library supports get/set/add/remove on X3D types and
classes, and exports XML.  We might consider:

   1. JSON -> Scenegraph-es6
   2. DOM -> Scenegraph-es6
   3. Scenegraph-es6 -> ProtoExpanded Scenegraph-es6 for X3DOM
   4. Scenegraph-es6 -> JSON (a new JSON generator since our others do not
   work in web browser).
   5. Scenegraph-es6 -> DOM (need to convert XML method to DOM)
   6. ES6 SAI library
   7. X_ITE SAI -> to HTML5 Scripting for X3DOM
   8. X3D archives -> .mjs files (in particular, Proto
   Examples)--X3dToES6.xslt.

Please order these by which one has the most impact.  My three would
be  the 8) X3dToES6.xslt to get Protos in ES6 (URGENT!) and develop app
class based code), 3) Scenegraph-es6 ProtoExpander, and 7) the X_ITE SAI ->
HTML5 scripting for X3DOM. The ProtoExpander would be aided greatly by
separating into separate, classes, perhaps even put in another module,
since it is currently unrelated to graphics.

Another option is to create a TypeScript library, so we can use TypeScript
interfaces.  Or we could create WebAssembly code.

What would you want in such a ES6+ library?

What I will do is start considering how to implement the ProtoExpanded DOM
using X3DOM's DOM and the new Scenegraph-es6 library.

You have until Monday at 2 at pm PDT to make suggestions.

If someone has a name for the library, great.  Right now I am calling it
x3d.mjs (folder is es6 though).