[x3d-public] meeting minutes 28 May 2020: X3D4 Audio and Sound Component

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu May 28 12:29:18 PDT 2020

Attendees: Efi, Thanos, Dick, Don

No Web3D member-only information was included in these minutes.

-----

1. *Publication*. We discussed how this progress might be reported archivally in a paper for Web3D 2020 Conference.  This not only goes into the ACM Digital Library, but also (if accepted) has potential to go into a follow-on journal.

[0] ACM Digital Library:  Web3D, 3D technologies for the World Wide Web

     https://dl.acm.org/conference/web3d

Attached: ACM digital library statistics for Web3D Conferences

-----

2. We are working to finish within 4 weeks for publication release of draft X3D4 specification prior to SIGGRAPH 2020.

Tremendous progress last week and this week makes successful delivery achievable - with sustained effort.

-----

3. We discussed some related topics:

[1] Head-Related Transfer Function (HRTF)
     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function

"A head-related transfer function (HRTF), also sometimes known as the anatomical transfer function (ATF), is a response that characterizes how an ear receives a sound from a point in space."

[2] Binaural recording
     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording

"Binaural recording is a method of recording sound that uses two microphones, arranged with the intent to create a 3-D stereo sound sensation for the listener of actually being in the room with the performers or instruments. This effect is often created using a technique known as "dummy head recording", wherein a mannequin head is outfitted with a microphone in each ear."

Of potential compatibility interest:

[3] MPEG-4 Structured Audio
     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Structured_Audio

TODO: Thanos will send other related references.

-----

4. Key topics: Efi showed us her progress with Thanos since last week... very impressive.

Here is discussion on her updated notes for today (attachment document to follow tomorrow).

SpatialSound node: retaining many fields and similar compatibility with existing X3D Sound node is interesting for simple animation tasks, even if higher-order capabilities of Web Audio can improve upon them. Also helps implementers approach the new capabilities in a similar fashion.

a. Revised object hierarchy for SpatialSound looks great, matches last week's discussion as well.  We refined it slightly.

One sentence summary of SpatialSound node, distinguish capability relative to Sound node: TODO

---

b. innerCone/outerCone: be sure to use radians, not degrees.  TODO: ensure that UNIT statement applies similarly.

this is cone around the directional vector.  what happens when both default values zero, meaning no effect?  or no sound level?  is it part of Web Audio API or external to the source?  TODO need to be clearer in prose...

Also address edge cases, such as "If innerCone and outerCone values are geometrically inconsistent, then innerCone is treated as equal to outerCone" for example.

---

c. refDistance -> referenceDistance for explicit sense.  Perhaps another name has better clarity?  Definition sentence will tell.

---

d. rollOffDistance is proper name (note lowerCamelCasePunctuation for fields).

Informal reference:

[4] Roll-off
     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roll-off

More on naming:

[5] X3D Scene Authoring Hints: Naming Conventions
     https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dSceneAuthoringHints.html#NamingConventions

---

e. AudioListener (Web Audio API) corresponds to abstract type X3DAudioListenerNode, deriving from X3DChildNode (eventually).  Perhaps also deriving from intermediate X3DBindableNode abstract type?

Wondering if isViewpoint field means that such nodes are bindable, i.e. only one AudioListener is active at a single time?  In other words their usage going to be treated similarly to (and independently of) Viewpoint nodes?

Alternatively, if multiple Listener nodes are allowed to be active at once, how is the sound merged?

Suggested for consideration, noting possibility of binaural:

+- X3DChildNode -+- X3DBindable +- X3DAudioListenerNode -+- ListenerPoint
                                                          +- BinauralListenerPoint

Note this implies complete independence of a user's active listening point/orientation and active view location/direction.

Alternative pair of names:  PointListener and BinauralListener ??? Simpler or confusing?

Or perhaps simply "Listener" and include field functionality for both single and and binaural listener?

Future TODO: look at whether this is compatible with the evolving WebXR work (primarily a Javascript API for headsets) at W3C.

We might decide to defer definition of binaural sound to await WebXR.  Of important further note is that binaural sound parameters can be unique for every user, and indeed include Personal Identifying Information (PII)... much to consider here that happens to be independent of sound/audio considerations.

Also need to look at panning model considerations, which indicates binaural and equal power...  Lots to consider and compose.  Meanwhile the Listener (however named) is essentially the same, whether binaural or single point.

---

f. For field relationship of AudioClip within Sound (or SpatialSound) node, in XML:

	<SpatialSound>
		<AudioClip url=' "aqua.wav" ' containerField='source'/>
	</SpatialSound>

This simply means that SpatialSound has a field called 'source' which can contain AudioClip (or any other X3DSoundSourceNode).

Similar syntax for ClassicVRML as well.

---

g. <AudioListener position='0 0 0'/> can be used for any relative offset within current coordinate reference frame.

- Excellent - that listener locations are independent of sound source.
- Interesting that listener locations are independent of viewpoint.

Implication: if the audio is changing with current user position/orientation, then isViewpoint='true' indicates that navigation-based relationship.  Otherwise user might be navigating in space but sound is identical regardless of user position.  We likely need to consider naming a bit as we keep narrowing down on defined functionality.

This proposed independence of sound source, user view, and user listening point appears to be quite powerful.  People should consider the upcoming examples carefully.

----

4. Proposal: change X3D4 support from MIDI from recommended to required.  Of note is that W3C Audio Group has an updated proposal for MIDI.

[5] Web MIDI API
     W3C Working Draft 17 March 2015
     http://www.w3.org/TR/webmidi

Initial reaction positive, followup work needed.  This will be part of planned liaison collaboration work with W3C.

----

5. We agreed to meet again for each of next two weeks.

Goal for next week: finish restructuring of X3D4 specification, elevating all expected nodes.

[6] Github Web3DConsortium / X3D (Private, member only)
     https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D
     https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/blob/master/ISO-IEC19775/ISO-IEC19775-1/ISO-IEC19775-1v4.0/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD1/Part01/components/sound.html

June 11 meeting will be dedicated to detailed X3D4 specification editing.

Have fun listening to X3D Audio!  8)

Subject: meeting minutes 21 May 2020: X3D4 Audio and Sound Component