[x3d-public] [x3dom-users] Whither protoexpander in X3DOM? umm, just define input-to-output and write code

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Thu May 28 15:43:54 PDT 2020

I could not resist a proof of concept for the subgraph inclusion part of Protos.

https://andreasplesch.github.io/x3dom/test/functional/proto/inline.html

This is an absolutely minimal start. There is only creation of
instances, using only the first element in the ProtoBody. There is no
ProtoInterface or events handling.
It should work for all single node Protos.

But it only took a few lines in the right place
(https://github.com/andreasplesch/x3dom/commit/1e0ff82c2f7c77adcb521d62ff5172cf159943fb).

I understand that only the first node in a ProtoBody is used for the
template. It can be of course a grouping node. Other nodes in the
ProtoBody can affect the first node with internal routing.

Inline is in effect a grouping node but this will not translate to
ProtoInstance. I will have to look at more examples to understand
better how multiple nodes are inserted with a single ProtoInstance.

-Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453