[x3d-public] X3D4 Sound and audio: tutorial proofing, implementation ready for X3DOM, examples

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Nov 18 11:19:42 PST 2020

Attendees: Efi, Thanos, Dick, Don

1. We reviewed our Web3D 2020 tutorial, most assets online at

[1] Tutorial #5, X3D4 Sound and Audio
     Extending X3D Realism with Audio Graphs, Acoustic Properties and 3D Spatial Sound
     https://web3d.siggraph.org/x3d-audio-graphs-acoustic-properties-3d-spatial-sound/

Trouble report submitted about a missing presentation.

Also checked our paper:

[2] Papers session #4, Extending Web3D/VR/XR in Content and Effects
     Extending X3D Realism with Audio Graphs, Acoustic Properties and 3D Spatial Sound
     https://web3d.siggraph.org/extending-x3d-realism-audio-graphs-acoustic-properties-3d-spatial-sound/

Looks OK.

---

2. Web3D 2021

Looking forward to Pisa Italy next November!

We are considering a wide variety of examples to create, including perhaps some musical pieces.

---

3. Web Browser Implementation

Efi's work on her locally modified X3DOM appears to support the full X3D4 Sound Component.

[3.1] X3D4 Sound Component
       https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD3/Part01/components/sound.html

She will look at adding a "stub" implementation (meaning just interfaces) for AcousticProperties in the Shape component.

[3.2] X3D4 Shape Component, 12.4.1 AcousticProperties
       https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD3/Part01/components/shape.html#AcousticProperties

All review comments remain welcome.

At that point, the code appears to correctly implement our online examples at

[3.3] X3D Example Archives: X3D4AM, X3D for Advanced Modeling, Audio Spatial Sound
       https://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForAdvancedModeling/AudioSpatialSound

So... it is time to offer it back to X3DOM community for integration of her source code into the trunk.  She will be sending some mail about this.

[3.4] https://github.com/x3dom/x3dom

Following X3DOM integration and testing, hopefully X_ITE implementation will be straightforward.

---

4. Additional Implementations

We hope to encourage other implementations, especially Castle Game Engine and FreeWrl.  (Some months ago, Doug Sanden said that he found a Web Audio API implementation for C++.)

Don is interested in Java and Python implementations that we might add to X3DJSAIL and X3DPSAIL respectively.

---

5. Bug report?

There may a problem in the following example:

[5] Web3D Spatial Audio Camera Animation
     http://www.medialab.teicrete.gr/minipages/x3domAudio/spatialAudioCamera.xhtml

Having trouble hearing saxophone but can hear violin.

Also hoping to add license/credit information for those sound files...

I will keep maintaining validation versions at [3.3] above.

---

We plan to continue meeting, at regular time next week.

Have fun with X3D Audio and Sound and Acoustics!  8)  8)  8)  8)