[x3d-public] steps for issue identification, isolation, and correction

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Nov 24 20:37:25 PST 2020

John I must keep asking you, here is how we can help:

The following ingredients are always needed for problem resolution.  Usually several are available at the beginning.

a. Describe one problem at a time.
b. Provide a validated example scene that fails on this problem.
c. If possible, provide url or copy of related example scene that works for comparison.
d. Identify likely excerpt of interest from X3D original source.
e. If conversion related, a copy (and corresponding excerpt) of converted model.
f. X3DValidator or other schema evaluation results.
g. Online build logs of related examples can show what we expect to see (success or failure).

It is exceedingly rare that we actually understand or fix a new problem if we haven't tried collecting these to check the whole situation.

Saying "hey go look at these examples" is like me saying "hey go look at 4000 X3D Archives examples times 12 different file formats we support."  Huh?  Unlikely/impossible.

One step at a time, one issue at a time, several trials then one fix at a time - this is what works for our team efforts.

p.s. That approach got us through 4000 JSON conversions together, with all now passing jslint testing!  Pretty amazing.  It will be interesting to see how renewed JSON Schema capabilities get us even further.

Naval expression:  "steady as she goes."  Thanks for your many efforts.

Very respectfully yours.