[x3d-public] x3d4 and programming languages

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Nov 25 07:04:17 PST 2020

The C# support isn't ready yet but it is planned and initial documentation/programming work has begun.  X3D4 finalization will "open the door" to finishing this work.

As indicated in weekly minutes and in our standards strategy, in 2021 we plan to update ALL of the file-encoding standards and programming-language standards to match X3D4.

* Web3D Recommended Standards
   https://www.web3d.org/standards

* X3D Specification Relationships diagram
   https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.png

As with other X3D programming language implementations, the C/C++/C# language implementations are not expected to actually render.  Instead they will provide strongly typed classes for X3D4 data structures, offered as open-source codebases, to facilitate integration of X3D capabilities into other software tools.  Strict creation and validation of content helps model Quality Assurance (QA).  Flexible conversion of forms lets programmers use their tool chains of interest and then publish a single model in multiple ways.

We have carefully evolved X3D so that all of these various file-encoding standards and programming-language standards provide functionally equivalent X3D4, regardless of form.  The name for the abstract standard regularizing all of the programming-language standards is the Scene Authoring Interface (SAI)

For examples of this approach in Java and Python, see X3DJSAIL and X3DPSAIL implementations.

You might well consider joining Web3D Consortium as a member.  We value all feedback but members are at the "head of the line" for supporting X3D evolution.  There is a special member opportunity coming up soon: voting on whether to advance X3D4 from Web3D to ISO as a Committee Draft for document formalization.

* Join Web3D Consortium
   https://www.web3d.org/join

Thanks for your interest Konstantin, good luck with your work.