[x3d-public] review question: adopting MIDI 2.0 in X3D4

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Nov 25 09:46:23 PST 2020

Dick and I have been reviewing X3D4 references and updating when appropriate.

"MIDI is a technical standard that describes a communications protocol, digital interface, and electrical connectors that connect a wide variety of electronic musical instruments, computers, and related audio devices for playing, editing and recording music."

* Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI)
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI

Background soundtrack for this email:

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ented,_Nokturn_a-moll_-_Jesienny.ogg
   https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/Ented%2C_Nokturn_a-moll_-_Jesienny.ogg

The MIDI Association (originally MIDI Manufacturers Association) is a non-profit 501(c)6 with the goal to expand, promote, and protect MIDI technology for the benefit of artists and musicians around the world.  There are two member classes, Individual and Corporate Memberships.

* https://www.midi.org
* https://www.midi.org/about

They have been busy after all this time, and have approved MIDI 2.0 in 2020.

* Introduction to MIDI 2.0 by MIDI Association
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klun6WMxryU&feature=emb_title

* What Is MIDI 2.0? - How MIDI Version 2 Will Change Music Production Forever!
   by Professional Music Technologies PMTVUK (Sam)
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLxH_G-PcM

Upon first scrutiny MIDI 2.0 technology appears unencumbered for free use.  No problems found.  I also subscribed as a member (free) without mishap.

* MMA IP Policy
   https://www.midi.org/mma-ip-policy

* MIDI Terms of Use
   https://www.midi.org/terms-of-use

* Official MIDI Specifications
   https://www.midi.org/specifications

Of note, "MIDI 2.0 is an extension of MIDI 1.0. It does not replace MIDI 1.0 but builds on the core principles, architecture, and semantics of MIDI 1.0."  Further descriptions explain how over 30 years of stability has made seamless backwards compatibility paramount.

X3D3 and X3D4 normatively reference the MIDI 1.0 specification, and MIDI 1.0 support is recommended.

* X3D Architecture, Clause 2, Normative references
   https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD3/Part01/references.html#[MIDI]

* X3D Architecture, Sound component, 16.2.6 Audio encoding formats
   https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD3/Part01/components/sound.html

Browsers shall support at least the wavefile format in uncompressed PCM format (see [WAV]).

It is recommended that browsers support the MIDI file type 1 sound format (see 2.[MIDI]). MIDI files are presumed to use the General MIDI patch set.

It is also recommended that browsers support the following formats:

- Format=MP3, container=MP3, compressed (see 2.[I11172-1]).
- Format=AAC, container=MP4

Please advise regarding support, further analysis, or if there are any known reasons to not upgrade X3D4 support for MIDI to now-available MIDI version 2.0.

Our sound team (Efi Thanos Dick Don) will look closely at this candidate capability next week.  Absent objections, I'd expect us to add it to the final member-voting Committee Draft before the imminent ballot freeze.

Thanks for considering the possibilities.  Have fun with MIDI!

and Happy Thanksgiving as well, we all have much to be thankful for.

* https://www.theholidayspot.com/thanksgiving/music

and (earworm alert) knowing how everyone loves a good polka:

* https://www.theholidayspot.com/thanksgiving/music/thanksgiving-polka.mid