[x3d-public] [...] Gamma Correction for X3D4 final draft

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Nov 27 21:49:26 PST 2020

Yes agreed that our slowly converging understanding of gamma correction possibilities is good news... but for now, it is only an enabler for potential experimentation in X3DJSONLD and for further development in our various other implementations.

Clearly we will not achieve any kind of meaningful new specification capabilities at this point without further exploration, implementation and evaluation.

In response to your other points, no we don't put anything in the spec about "unhandled" (unspecified) nodes... That is because X3D is indeed extensible, but we only define what is correct and let browser software handle problems in their own way.  On rare occasions we acknowledge the possibility of model error but the most we ever might say is "results are undefined" to avoid defining any specific error-handling responses.

So for gamma correction, we are definitely not changing any requirements or solutions in X3D4 draft specification (soon to be voted upon by Web3D Consortium members).

There are 2 spec choices below: acknowledging norms by simply stating that gamma correction is typically expected, or else continuing to say nothing.

I expect that we will confirm consensus and pick either choice 1 or choice 2 during our planned X3D4 finalization meeting next Friday.

Again thanks for considering the possibilities.