[x3d-public] Fw: Re: X3D4 endgame review: normative references and informative bibliography

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Nov 30 09:44:45 PST 2020

Thanks for the review and follow-through.

On 11/29/2020 12:29 PM, Christoph Valentin wrote:

> retransmitted due to connectivity issues.....
>
> --
> Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android Mobiltelefon mit GMX Mail gesendet.
> Am 29.11.20, 00:10 schrieb Christoph Valentin <christoph.valentin at gmx.at>:
>
>     Hello,
>     A few notes from my perspective:
>     - RFC 1889 RTP has been obsoleted by RFC 3550 et. al. (STD 64)

Aha, excellent catch.

I had assumed prior RFCs would be annotated to indicate when they had been superceded.  That is not the case (at this url at least).

Better way to check is

* RFC Editor
   https://www.rfc-editor.org

which indicates as you write above and leads to

* https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc3550

Am thinking these are better URL addresses to use than the classic ietf.org/rfc addresses since they are authoritative and since the RFC Editor controls them.  Certainly more convenient for reader since latest status and multiple forms are provided for each RFC.

I am now going through many checks of all the RFCs, applying your change and a number of related ones.  This will appear later today.  Replying now FYI.

Thanks very much Christoph for excellent feedback.

>     If you asked me, I would add following informational resources
>     - RFC 3551 et. al. (AVP) A/V Profile - how to transmit audio/video over RTP?
>     - I would suggest to write a new RFC xxxx Collaborative 3D Profile (C3P) - how to transmit shared state over RTP? if not yet exist
>     - Stream Control Transmission Protocol RFC 4960 (SCTP could be used for secure transport of RTP user data)
>     - RFC  3261 et.al. (about 100 RFCs) - Session Initiation Protocol - SIP - for dynamic allocation of RTP streams

Well this certainly remains a worthy agenda for applied research.

As far as the X3D specification goes, we only add references when they help explain requirements or guidelines in the specification.

As far as audio/video streaming goes, I think we will learn more (about audio at least) as we implement the W3C Audio API and corresponding Streams W3C Draft Recommendations.